Skip to main content

Idol Hearts

Ezekiel 14:3 

Idolaters Condemned


14 Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. Then the word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? Therefore speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: When any of the Israelites set up idols in their hearts and put a wicked stumbling block before their faces and then go to a prophet, I the Lord will answer them myself in keeping with their great idolatry. I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’
“Therefore say to the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!

Ezekiel tells us that we all are "idols of the heart". 

Jeremiah tells us that "The heart is DECEITFUL above all things, and DESPERATELY sick, who can understand it? -Jeremiah 17:9

In Psalm 37:8  Says "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil."


Fret meaning: To produce a hole or worn spot in; corrode. Or to disturb the surface of (water or a stream); agitate. Defining this allowed me to understand Proverbs 20:5 "The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out." Our hearts can eat themselves away, our hearts have invisible idols that we cannot see because they act out like deep waters. 




We have corroded hearts, hearts that so easily draw away from God the moment we stop seeking  his face.

The moment we choose to trust and fear, in something or someone outside of Christ is the moment we've made idols in our hearts. The moment we find comfort in something outside of God, we've created an altar in our hearts where our invisible god's dwell and are made much of.

For me its control, and pleasing people, friendships,ME  <----- "That's what God has shown me recently". He knows how much I can take ....I'm pretty sure there are more idols that in time he will reveal and kill. 

Dee Bresten once said "Leaders know how things should be run and even when they pray they tell God how to do it."

Like a child I go to God and show him a painting ...doodles actually,  of how HE the Creator of the created should run my life, and the lives of other people.  "Secretly I think he puts that drawing on HIS fridge and calls it precious..." Because He loves me. 

I lay upon friendships an unhealthy weight of expectation... CONDITIONAL? Unfortunately  yes.

In the deepness of my heart lies the idol of ME... who thinks she deserves more because of what she's been through, because of what she's sacrificed, because of what she has done.

A corroded heart...like David, but when rebuked by Nathan we see that repentance that Ezekiel talks about through PSALM 51 CREATE in ME a CLEAN HEART 

Lines 16-17 
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.


Understanding this was hard and PAINFUL
I felt beaten, like a failure, broken because I had failed my first Love. 

And all he said was Repent...That's what I had to do... along with asking for forgiveness.

I WILL RECAPTURE her HEART -He Promised...
I will allure her into the wilderness he told her.
I will love her. He died and rose again!





I could not grasp, I could not understand why He could love us ...why he would continue loving me...
And then It hit me. God's Love is not dependent on us...But I am ...
I am dependent on others thoughts, words, and actions towards me, when I am called to be dependent on GOD alone.


My heart is a factory maker of idols ... 
What do I trust? Jesus....and people.  
What do I fear, El que diran... translation.. What would people say ?
What brings me comfort? Affirmation. 


There is the hope, that I in Christ's strength can overcome.



Ask me again 
Who do I trust? Yahweh
Who do I fear? The Creator
Who comforts me? JESUS

You're not alone ... In this
My Brother, my sister, you are not alone. 




Comments

  1. Jocelyn,

    Thank you for keeping it 100. "What bring me comfort - affirmation."

    It sucks that we often hold man's approval so high - higher than God Almighty... I am guilty… it’s so easy to make idols out of nothing. We really are “Idol making machines.”

    God’s grace is so precious… “all he said was repent.”

    “God’s love is not dependant on us” you’re right, BOOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why he is able to love us AGAPE...in our flesh we're so conditional :/ Thank you Adan for sharing! I think of how the people in Egypt saw the waters part ...and years later people made their own idols out of clay...They saw GOD make a miracle and chose to serve their made up God. Sad thing is ...our hearts form is not different from them.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and Honest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my sister it was hard to put it out there but when you're called to do somthing we best do it to bring HIM Glory!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome in...

Open Heart … What is an open heart? Is it one that shares everything with everyone, or one that is selective on how it pours out? I’ve asked myself this question many times before, “Don’t I usually wear my heart on my sleeve?” The answer is no.  Even though I pour out I have to battle and understand that there is a very thin line that sometimes I don’t see myself crossing but I do. My whole desire is to please the Lord and to pour out in service to others, how could I not with knowing what He has done. Recently, however, it's seems as though I’ve been playing hopscotch with the intentions of my heart.     As I was talking to my friend over a study session he asked me why I didn't not blog my thoughts, my response shocked me when I said, "I'm afraid of what people might do to my heart. Afraid...I'm afraid? As I said that, God's word reminded me,  "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; th

The Instrument of My Dreams

Let Your Glory Be over All the Earth 57  Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,      for in you my soul  takes refuge; in  the shadow of your wings  I will take refuge,      till the storms of destruction pass by. 2  I cry out to God Most High,      to God who  fulfills his purpose for me. 3  He will send from heaven and save me;      he will put to shame  him who tramples on me.  Selah God will send out  his steadfast love and his faithfulness! 4  My soul is in the midst of  lions;      I lie down amid fiery beasts— the children of man, whose  teeth are spears and arrows,      whose  tongues are sharp swords. 5  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!      Let your glory be over all the earth! 6  They set  a net for my steps;      my soul was  bowed down. They  dug a pit in my way,      but they have fallen into it themselves.  Selah 7  My heart is  steadfast, O God,      my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! 8       Awake,  my

Not self-reliant but all sufficiency from Christ

For quite some time now, I’ve entered a place where confidence, identity and self-worth were measured by what I could offer on my own accord. Talents, appearance, job standing, stability, and the list goes on. I confess this to be my personal habitual sin, however this time around I dug myself deeper into the slimy pit He once rescued me from. I found it to be dark, yet comforting, YES I said it COMFORTING. Darkness can bring forth comfort because it blinds you from looking at your own sin.  I believed the lies, you know the ones that shake you to the core, the ones that make you stumble and fall, the ones that leave you broken, wounded and scarred because they bind you until you cannot move, speak, or breathe. I had forgotten about the healer of all, the one that moves mountains, and caused breath into life.  The Lord used a wonderful dear friend today.  I admire her love towards those around her as she shared with me what it truly looks like to be self-reliant on the LORD alone.