Skip to main content

The Instrument of My Dreams

Let Your Glory Be over All the Earth

57 Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
    for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings 
I will take refuge,
    till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry out to God Most High,
    to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
He will send from heaven and save me;
    he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah
God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!
My soul is in the midst of lions;
    I lie down amid fiery beasts—
the children of man, whose teeth are spears and arrows,
    whose tongues are sharp swords.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
    Let your glory be over all the earth!
They set a net for my steps;
    my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my way,
    but they have fallen into it themselves. Selah
My heart is steadfast, O God,
    my heart is steadfast!
I will sing and make melody!
    Awake, my glory!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
    I will awake the dawn!
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10 For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds.
11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
 Let your glory be over all the earth!

Some of you may ask, "ummm what in the world is a hammered dulcimer?"

To be honest I didn't know such an instrument existed until I saw it in a day dream. As I was in complete worship, everything suddenly became white, in this dream I was in a white music room and a great light was holding my hands as I played an instrument I'd never seen before. Since then I wanted so much with my whole being to worship God with this instrument I had seemed to fabricate in my mind. The only way I could describe it is by simply stating what I tell most as I try to explain what it looks like,  "A hammered dulcimer! I want one it looks like a  harp and a xylophone had a baby."


I did not even try to ask people if such an instrument existed. One evening as I was listening and looking at music videos on YouTube, I saw that Brandon Heath and Third Day collaborated in a song called CREED. I clicked play and there it was, a sound that resonated a joyful heartbeat, I sound I was drawn to.
I did not know what it was until a few seconds into the video, that's when I saw and heard the instrument of my dreams.

I could not believe it! It does exist!  "what do you call that?" I asked,  comments on the webpage mentioned the name "Hammered Dulcimer". I've never heard of such a thing, and so I researched it. I was in awe with what I found. .



"The hammered dulcimer sounds much like a piano and drums put together. It is both melodic and percussive by nature. It carries an ancient sound." According to history/GOOGLE =P the ancient origins of the dulcimer are undoubtedly in the Near East, where instruments of this type have been made and played for perhaps 5000 years. Yup,  "THIS INSTRUMENT IS OOOOOLD!"

Originally, the name dulcimer comes from the Latin and Greek words Dulce and melos, which combine to mean "sweet tune." 



 I think that is why I liked it so much in the first place, the hammered dulcimer carries the sound from long ago.  I told my friend Danielle about the instrument of my dreams with such confusion in that I had no idea why I would want to play an instrument that no one else plays anymore.., it's medieval I said. Then with a smile she said something that pierced my heart with truth, "GOD MAKES EVERYTHING NEW". 

He does make everything new! He is making me new everyday... 

He has me in a season much like when I first came to Christ. The first thing I did was bow down in worship. In that first year HE taught me how to play guitar, to worship Him alone and have confidence in HIM alone.

I am overwhelmed as to how and when He will teach me to play this instrument.  What melodies will HE inspire? My desire is to trust in Him alone as He leads my heart in making a joyful sound.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." -Psalm 28:7




Comments

  1. :') he's given you so many gifts... and you use them all for worship. you're awesome.

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adan you first inspired me to create this blog. Thank you for being the brother who motivated me to share!

      I miss you too AMIGO
      This semester I'll be back at UTPA for two classes!
      NERD CITY KIDS ACTIVATE!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story, May God give you the desires of your Heart !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. It's such a blessing. :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Jocelyn Berenice Lopez,

    So great to come across your profile through your blog. I am impressed by your commitment to the Lord and dieing to self and living for the Lord and letting people see Jesus in you and through you.

    Well about me, I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 33yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live with a population of 18 million of which half of the population lives in the slums and those who live in the slums are the people with bare minimum, poor, marginalized, underprivileged and socially, economically oppressed. We reach out to such people with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted and give them new hope,future and purpose to their lives. We also encourage young people like you as well as adults from the West to come on a short term missions trip to work with us in the slums of MUMBAI and be hands and feet of Jesus to bring healing to the broken hearted. Since you have a desire to let people see Jesus in you, it would be great if you come on a short or long term missions trip and work with us, will really people see Jesus through and in you in action. People could see Jesus in Mother Teressa. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God willing I will be coming to states in the month of June 2013 and will be delighted to meet you and share more about our ministry in the slum of Mumbai. My email id is and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow it's a blessing to hear God's work in MUMBAI I'll definately keep you, HIS Ministry and the people og Mumbai in my prayers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome in...

Open Heart … What is an open heart? Is it one that shares everything with everyone, or one that is selective on how it pours out? I’ve asked myself this question many times before, “Don’t I usually wear my heart on my sleeve?” The answer is no.  Even though I pour out I have to battle and understand that there is a very thin line that sometimes I don’t see myself crossing but I do. My whole desire is to please the Lord and to pour out in service to others, how could I not with knowing what He has done. Recently, however, it's seems as though I’ve been playing hopscotch with the intentions of my heart.     As I was talking to my friend over a study session he asked me why I didn't not blog my thoughts, my response shocked me when I said, "I'm afraid of what people might do to my heart. Afraid...I'm afraid? As I said that, God's word reminded me,  "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; th

Not self-reliant but all sufficiency from Christ

For quite some time now, I’ve entered a place where confidence, identity and self-worth were measured by what I could offer on my own accord. Talents, appearance, job standing, stability, and the list goes on. I confess this to be my personal habitual sin, however this time around I dug myself deeper into the slimy pit He once rescued me from. I found it to be dark, yet comforting, YES I said it COMFORTING. Darkness can bring forth comfort because it blinds you from looking at your own sin.  I believed the lies, you know the ones that shake you to the core, the ones that make you stumble and fall, the ones that leave you broken, wounded and scarred because they bind you until you cannot move, speak, or breathe. I had forgotten about the healer of all, the one that moves mountains, and caused breath into life.  The Lord used a wonderful dear friend today.  I admire her love towards those around her as she shared with me what it truly looks like to be self-reliant on the LORD alone.